3 Jews arrested for Arab's death last year

3 Jews arrested for Arab

December 8, 2009 23:34
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police on Tuesday lifted the gag order on a case involving three young Jewish men - none of them Jerusalem residents - who were arrested three weeks ago on suspicion of fatally stabbing an Arab resident of the capital in December 2008. The suspects, two of whom are minors, were brought before the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court on Tuesday afternoon for a remand hearing. According to police, Judge Gad Aronberg initially allowed the two minors to be released to house arrest at their parents' homes, but investigators requested the decision be delayed for 24 hours and the judge agreed. According to police, the suspects approached Shuafat resident Hamed Hamed on December 3, 2008, on a street corner in Jerusalem's Me'a She'arim neighborhood and asked him for the time - in an effort to identify him as an Arab. When he answered them, police said, the suspects sprayed Hamed with pepper spray, beat him and then stabbed him. Hamed was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, but he died of his wounds. At the time, police announced that the motive for the stabbing was nationalistic and appointed a special unit to investigate the crime. A day after the stabbing, two teens were arrested and released after being questioned by investigators. Police on Tuesday would not verify if the suspects now in custody had been those interrogated at the time. Police have said, however, that the three suspects now in custody, a 22-year-old and two 17-year-olds, have confessed to the killing and that an indictment would be filed against them in the coming days.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town