5 killed in Hadera market suicide bombing

Body parts blown several meters; 20 still hospitalized; all victims buried Thursday.

October 27, 2005 13:08
3 minute read.
hadera fatalities 298

hadera fatalities 298. (photo credit: Channel 2)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A suicide bomber blew himself up at 3:35 p.m. on Wednesday while standing in a queue of people in the market at the center of the northern town of Hadera. A local shop owner said he heard the explosion in the popular Barzilai felafel stand, which has been run by the same family for some 60 years, and went outside to offer assistance. Within minutes, however, emergency services were already at the scene. He said parts of bodies had been blown several meters away from the scene of the explosion. The blast wrecked parts of the stand and neighboring stores, as well as eucalyptus trees in the area. Hadera Mayor Haim Avitan was leaving the municipality building at the time of the explosion. "I thought at first that it was a sonic boom, but I was told it was a terrorist attack," said Avitan, who went to the scene moments after being informed. "It really looked like a scene after a pogrom, but the security forces reached the area within minutes and our wardens with their help ensured that the roads were kept clear to evacuate the casualties." Apart from the suicide bomber, four people were killed at the scene and another who was critically wounded died on the operating table at Hadera's Hillel Yaffe Hospital. Two people suffering from serious injuries were transferred to Kfar Saba's Meir Hospital and Sheba Hospital at Tel Hashomer. Among the casualties was one of the owners of the felafel stand, who had taken over from his brother who had been there from the morning, as well as a worker and some customers. According to reports, the bomb contained some five kilograms of explosives, as well as scores of metal balls and nails to maximize casualties. Keren Davido, a local resident, told reporters that if the attacker had struck in the morning, the overall casualty total would have been much higher. Eyewitnesses reported having seen a car with two Arabs inside that drove away from the market area shortly before the blast. Police set up roadblocks in the vicinity after the attack and said that all reports were being thoroughly investigated. The suicide bombing could also have been timed to coincide with the anniversary of the killing 10 years ago in Malta, allegedly by Mossad agents, of Islamic Jihad founder Fathi Shaki. Security sources maintained, however, that organizations such as the Islamic Jihad, funded directly by Iran and which received some of its orders from its leadership in Syria, always had some anniversary to use as a pretext for attacks. Police stressed that there were general alerts about pending terror attacks, especially in the wake of the killing of Sa'adi which had led to Kassam rocket fire on Sderot and western Negev communities on Tuesday and Wednesday. The IDF responded to that rocket fire with artillery fire towards open spaces in the Gaza Strip as well as overflights by IAF warplanes that broke the sound barrier. Herb Keinon contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings