Admoni quits war inquiry committee

Report: Barak told PM he was prepared to head a state commission of inquiry.

By DAN IZENBERG, JPOST STAFF
September 14, 2006 21:05
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Nahum Admoni, who was initially appointed to head the committee of investigation into the government's management of the war in Lebanon, decided Thursday night to leave the committee altogether. Since the committee was meant to investigate the defense establishment's role in the war, Admoni and former justice Eliahu Winograd - Admoni's replacement as head of the committee - nominated Maj.-Gen. (res.) Dr. Haim Nadel to be the latest member. The Winograd commission is set to receive government approval on Sunday. The Prime Minister's Office reported that Attorney General Menahem Mazuz had approved Winograd as head of the commission, as well as the other four members of the committee: Prof. Ruth Gavison, Prof. Yehezkel Dror, Maj.-Gen. (res.) Menahem Einan, and Nadel. Meanwhile, Channel Two television reported Thursday that retired Supreme Court President Aharon Barak told Prime Minister Ehud Olmert he was prepared to head a state commission of inquiry into Israel's handling of the war. According to the report, Barak and Olmert held a private meeting on Wednesday. However, sources close to Olmert vehemently denied the report. "The issue was not raised even in a hint," Olmert's spokesman, Assaf Shariv told The Jerusalem Post. "We have already formed a committee," said Shariv, adding that although Olmert would be appreciative of such an offer, he would turn it down. Another Olmert spokesperson, Miri Eisen, said the report went against everything she knew about the government's intentions. Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister's Office announced that the cabinet would approve the establishment of the Winograd Government Investigation Committee on Sunday. According to the announcement, in addition to Judge Dr. Eliyahu Winograd, who will chair the committee, the members will be Prof. Ruth Gavison, Prof. Yehezkel Dror, Maj.-Gen. (ret.) Menachem Einan and Maj.-Gen. (ret.) Dr. Haim Nadel. Meanwhile, Likud chairman Binyamin Netanyahu said that Barak was the right man to head a state commission of inquiry into the shortcomings of the war. Netanyahu endorsed the formation of such a commission at a New Year's toast hosted by MK Gideon Saar at Kfar Hamaccabiah in Ramat Gan.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN