Annapolis crackdown nets 2,500 illegal Palestinians in Israel

November 27, 2007 23:55
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Under the shadow of a raised terror alert surrounding the conference in Annapolis, police have arrested 2,500 Palestinians working illegally in Israel over the last two days. The police said the crackdown was designed to reduce the threat of terror attacks launched by terrorists seeking to derail the conference. The 2,500 were detained and removed to the Palestinian Authority, and approximately 60 criminal files were opened against employers, smugglers and those providing shelter to the workers. The operation was under way for two days, and approximately 2,000 police officers and Border Police participated. Police explained that terrorists often infiltrate along the same routes as illegal workers who make their way across the Green Line every day. Officers in the National Headquarters said that the level of alert would continue at least until Thursday, with increased police presence in public gathering areas and at the entrances of major cities. But although long lines of traffic were reported at checkpoints following more stringent checks of vehicles, the first day of the Annapolis summit was completed with minimal interference by terror operatives in the West Bank . A suspicious package was discovered at Mishtara Habritit Junction on Route 60, and items believed to be planted in advance of a potential attack were discovered in Kiryat Sefer, near Modi'in. In addition, two incidents of rock-throwing by Palestinians were reported, one north of Hebron and one south of the Judean city. The windshield of one vehicle was damaged, but no injuries were reported. The Judea and Samaria District Police refused to comment Tuesday on the overall security picture in their district, but did say that in the coming days, a report would be published regarding attacks and vandalism against what they described as "national infrastructures."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town