Ashdod man admits killing wife, mother-in-law

September 15, 2006 00:38
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A week ago, Ababa Andiknan sat on a park bench in Ashdod, drank a few beers, and then returned to his apartment and, without warning, stabbed his wife to death as she stood washing dishes in the kitchen. He went to the living room and stabbed his mother-in-law repeatedly, until she too was dead. On Thursday, the 36-year-old calmly recounted for police the circumstances of the double murder he committed inside his family's Rehov Harotem apartment. After killing the two women, Andiknan called police, telling them he had "beaten" his wife and mother-in-law, and then, as officers hurried to the scene, he turned his knife on himself in what police say was a suicide attempt. Police discovered him bleeding and also found four of the couple's five children in the home. The oldest boy, 12, fled after witnessing the attacks, and was later found wandering the streets in Rehovot, kilometers away. The five children were placed in the care of their aunt, their mother's sister. There was no argument preceding the attacks, Andiknan said Thursday as he confessed to the murders and recreated them on camera for detectives. Andiknan was released from Rehovot's Kaplan Hospital into police custody on Tuesday, and his remand - originally extended by four days - was extended by 13 days. The Ashdod attack is the third such murder-suicide attempt to occur among Ethiopian immigrants in the past five months. While Ethiopian Jews comprise approximately 1 percent of the population, 25% of women killed by their husbands in the past decade have been Ethiopian, and eight of the 20 most recent wife murders have occurred within the Ethiopian immigrant community.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town