B-G passengers not worried - yet

A would-be traveler: "What? A strike? You're joking!"

July 24, 2007 23:54
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


As the Tisha Be'av fast ended and an imminent general strike threatened the nation, the passengers who trickled into Ben-Gurion Airport on Tuesday night seemed anything but alarmed as they prepared to board flights. The airport was practically empty in the evening, but as the night wore on, the check-in lines began to grow. Nevertheless, it was hard to find anyone panicking that their vacation would be affected by Histadrut Chairman Ofer Eini's ultimatum. News teams were out in force, wires tracing across the departures level's polished floors - but there was very little action. Instead, a preschooler awaiting a flight posed for the first photo of his trip, his mother whipping out a digital camera to snap her son holding a Channel 2 microphone and standing dwarfed by the news cameras behind him. Even the few travelers attempting to switch their tickets appeared relatively unfazed by the looming strike. Brian Epstein, concluding a six-week visit to Israel, arrived at the airport in the evening to try to move his flight forward - but not because of the strike. "I've been here long enough, and I'm just ready to go home," he said as he navigated from ticket counter to ticket counter. Epstein was supposed to return home in another 27 hours. "What? A strike? You're joking!" said the would-be traveler, carrying a guitar and two bags. "So it's a good thing I came early, right?" Epstein joined a handful of travelers standing outside of the Continental Airlines window, waiting for the ticket agent to open at 9 p.m. All of them were changing their tickets for reasons completely unrelated to the strike. Airport service workers - contracted security guards and employees at the airport's shops - seemed mildly amused by the impending shutdown. They updated each other on the latest news, and seemed to look at it as an unexpected vacation day. But mostly, they maintained their routines, patrolling, checking passengers and reviewing tourist cellphone rental plans. At the coffee shop frequented by workers on their breaks, the sports pages were more animatedly discussed than the strike. But as the news came through that Eini had decided to postpone the airport shutdown by 24 hours, not even the would-be travelers in line at the ticketing desk seemed relieved at their temporary stay of execution. Instead, one rolled his eyes. "That's how they always do it," he sighed. "They get you into it slowly, slowly. But in the end, you're screwed over just the same."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town