Barak orders house demolition

Defense minister orders security forces to begin process of knocking down Mercaz terrorist's home.

By
August 6, 2008 17:59
1 minute read.
headshots and names

Mercaz Harav Victims 248.88. (photo credit: Courtesy)

Following consultations with the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency), Israel Police and IDF Home Front Command, Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Wednesday ordered security forces to demolish the home of Ala Abu Dhaim, the terrorist who gunned down eight students in March at the Merkaz Harav religious seminary in Jerusalem. The Abu Dhaim family of from east Jerusalem will be allowed to appeal the decision to OC Home Front Command Maj.-Gen. Yair Golan during the next seven days. If the appeal is rejected, the family will be given one more week to prepare for the demolition, during which time it can also appeal to the High Court. Following the legal process, and if the petitions are rejected, the house will be demolished. Also Wednesday, Barak asked legal authorities at the Defense Ministry to come up with ways to speed up the bureaucratic and legal processes required before demolition orders could be issued. Barak has yet to make a final decision on whether to demolish or seal the east Jerusalem home of the terrorist who carried out the deadly bulldozer attack in downtown Jerusalem last month. Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianksi on Wednesday issued a statement which said, "the demolition will serve as clear message that the families of every terrorist who goes out to attack and murder Israelis will also be harmed." Barak and Shin Bet chief Yuval Diskin have expressed support for demolishing homes of east Jerusalem Arab terrorists since they both said it was an effective tool for deterring attacks. Etgar Lefkovits contributed to this report.


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN