Defense Minister Ehud Barak has received a death threat in the form of a letter, apparently from extreme right-wing activists, Channel 2 reported on Tuesday evening.
Barak reportedly received a letter similar to the one sent to Police Insp.-Gen. David Cohen last week. In the light of the threatening letter, the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) has doubled the number of bodyguards protecting Barak.
Barak was being threatened because of his role in leading the implementation of the 10-month building moratorium in West Bank settlements, Channel 2 assessed.
Officials in the Defense Ministry confirmed that his security had been increased.
On Sunday evening, a police source told The Jerusalem Post that the death threat sent to Cohen was "being examined closely."
The "document" was sent to police headquarters in Jerusalem, the source said. Police were unsure where the letter had come from.
Yaakov Lappin and Yaakov Katz contributed to this report