Border policeman who killed Palestinian flees

Yanai Lalza, sentenced to 6.5 years for throwing youth from jeep, fails to show for prison sentence.

July 1, 2008 22:03


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Yanai Lalza, a border policeman convicted of killing a Palestinian youth in Hebron in 2002, has failed to turn up to serve his prison sentence, the Police Investigation Department (PID) said Tuesday, adding that a hunt for Lalza was underway. Lalza was convicted of killing Abu Hamdaya by throwing him out of a moving jeep in December 2002 and was sentenced to six-and-a-half years behind bars. The PID had demanded that Lalza be kept in custody until the end of proceedings, but he was allowed to go free until the beginning of his sentence. The Jerusalem District Court convicted Lalza of manslaughter for the incident. He was also convicted of abusing other Palestinians with three of his comrades - incidents which were caught on camera. Jerusalem District Court Judge Orit Gabai decided against giving Lalza a harsher sentence due to difficult family circumstances. According to the indictment served against the four, in December 2002 they kidnapped Hamdaya, a 17-year-old Hebron resident, and took him onto their military jeep. During the journey, they beat Hamdaya before Lalza threw him out of the jeep at high speed. The Palestinian teen suffered severe head trauma and died as a result.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town