Cancer patients re-launch strike

Protesters demand inclusion of additional cancer drugs in health basket.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 27, 2006 11:05
Cancer patients re-launch strike

cancer protest 1. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Colon cancer patients were set to begin a hunger strike outside the Knesset on Sunday to demand the government subsidize the cancer-fighting drug Erbitux. The government agreed to increase the 2006 health budget by NIS 350 million after the cancer patients held a 16-day hunger strike in May. The Health Ministry also included another cancer drug the protesters had demanded, Avastin, in the basket of subsidized medicines, but Erbitux was added on an emergency basis only for patients with advanced and localized head and neck cancer. Although Health Minister Ya'acov Ben-Yizri had previously promised that Erbitux would also be included, the committee in charge of the issue left the life-extending drug outside the basket. That decision was made while the war in Lebanon was still going on, but the patients said they had postponed their protest until the war was over, Yediot Aharonot reported. In response to the committee's decision, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said it was inappropriate "that one person should decide, based on this protest or another, which drugs should be included."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN