Car torching cell to stay detained until next week

July 11, 2006 23:29
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Petah Tikva Magistrate's Court on Tuesday extended the remands of two alleged members of a car torching ring until next week, hours after a Tel Aviv court rejected the appeals by three alleged members of the same cell of their remand extensions. The Petah Tikva court ordered that Aharon Katzman be held in custody until Sunday. The remand of a minor was also extended. The Tel Aviv District Court rejected the appeal by suspects Arieh Tessler, Hanoch Albert and Moshe Skali of eight-day remand extensions issued on Sunday. On Sunday, a gag order was lifted on the case. Katzman, Tessler, Albert, Skali and the minor were arrested last week after allegedly torching police and IDF commanders' vehicles in February, March and April in revenge for their roles in settlement evacuations. Just before the court session began in Petah Tikva, Defense Minister Amir Peretz issued an administrative detention order for Ariel Gruner, a resident of Yitzhar who had arrived at the courthouse in advance of the remand hearing. A detective from the International Serious Crimes Unit identified Gruner outside the building, and he was arrested and transferred to Shikma Prison in Ashkelon, where he was slated to serve a three-month detention. Also on Tuesday, Judea and Samaria Police detained a 22-year-old resident of Maon Farm, an illegal outpost in Judea, under suspicion of attacking members of the security forces. He was taken to the Jerusalem District's Central Investigative Unit for questioning and was issued a restraining order barring him from the Maon Farm for six months. Following the questioning, the young man signed the restraining order and his release forms with the words "Kahane was right."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town