'Cluster bombs used in self-defense'

Foreign Ministry denies US claim that Israel violated arms agreements.

By
January 28, 2007 21:59
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel used cluster bombs in self-defense during the past summer's war in Lebanon, Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said Sunday. Regev's comments came in response to reports that a preliminary US State Department report found that Jerusalem violated US-Israel arms agreements governing the use of cluster bombs. Congress is expected to be briefed on the conclusions of the report this week.

  • US: Israel broke cluster bomb rules
  • The second Lebanon war: JPost.com special report "We have an open dialogue with the US," Regev said. "We have provided them with information, and tried to be as forthcoming, detailed and transparent as is possible. Our understanding is that the use of these weapons was done within the framework of self-defense in dealing with rockets designed to kill Israeli citizens." Regev said that Israel took the American concern about this issue "very seriously," and felt it had satisfactorily replied to the US concerns. He added that outgoing Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Dan Halutz had ordered an internal IDF investigation into the use of the weapon as well. Regev said that Israel was not taken by surprise by the State Department report, and that the relevant government officials had been dealing with the issue for some time. The State Department investigation was launched following an outcry by the UN, several human rights groups and Arab media outlets charging that the cluster bombs caused a great deal of collateral damage in Lebanon.

    Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

  • Related Content

    Jisr az-Zarq
    April 3, 2014
    Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

    By SHARON UDASIN