Court: Reopen el-Hams shooting probe

Accepts parents' petition over shooting death of daughter by IDF 2 years ago.

December 14, 2006 14:12
1 minute read.
idf soldier gun 298 88 idf

idf soldier gun298 88idf. (photo credit: IDF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


In its second ruling Thursday regarding IDF rules of engagement, the High Court accepted the petition of the parents of Iman el-Hams, who was killed two years ago in southern Gaza by IDF troops. Captain R., who commanded a Givati platoon at the time, was cleared a year ago of killing the 13 year old and "verifying the kill." The court ordered Military Advocate-General Brig.-Gen. Avihai Mandelblit to launch a criminal investigation into whether orders to open fire were given illegally during that incident. Michael Sfard, the parents' attorney, condemned the IDF for not ordering an investigation sooner. "From the beginning, the family contended that her [Hams's] death resulted from illegal rules of engagement orders against people who threaten no one… It's a shame that military police, even though there were indications that such was the case, did not open an investigation," he said after the ruling. According to the initial probe and the officer's version of events, in the early morning hours of October 5, 2005, soldiers spotted 'someone' carrying a bag in an area off-limits to Palestinians near Rafah. Suspecting the bag might contain a bomb and taking into account that hours earlier shots were fired at the post, soldiers shot the figure. They then closed in, discovering the girl. Captain R., now a major, was also accused of making sure the girl was dead, otherwise known as 'verifying the kill.' The accusation was based on the false testimony of two soldiers who claimed to have seen the officer shooting the girl at close range.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town