Fire in Bat Yam seniors' club injures 83

Five seriously injured; others, in light-to-moderate condition.

April 10, 2006 17:37
1 minute read.
Fire in Bat Yam seniors' club injures 83

bat yam fire 298 88 ch10. (photo credit: Channel 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Eighty-three people were hospitalized suffering from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at a pensioners' club in the basement of a building in Bat Yam on Monday afternoon. Five of the victims were seriously injured and the rest, including four policemen, lightly-to-moderately after being evacuated from the 12-story building by the Fire and Rescue Service, which took about two hours to get the blaze under control. The injured were taken to Wolfson, Ichilov and Assaf Harofeh hospitals. Avi Peretz, commander of the Holon-Bat Yam fire service, said that when he arrived at 3:30 his initial aim was to rescue the wounded and the pensioners, of whom there were about 20. "It was full of smoke and there was a strong smell," he said. "We took the injured out first on ladders, and then we took the children out via the stairs and ladders." By press time, the service hadn't determined the cause of the blaze. Asst.-Cmdr. Aharon Aksool, chief of the Ayalon region, said the thick smoke was caused by the plastic casings that were present in the pensioners club. "The smoke then entered the apartments and the stairwells," he said. However, he didn't believe that it would be too long before the residents could return to their flats. "There is no problem in living in the building, the flats weren't burned. It's more there is a strong smell of smoke," he said. "Once the smoke has gone, I assume that in the next few hours people will be able to return to their houses after it has been decided that there is no danger." In the meantime, the city council provided assistance to the evacuated residents and guards to prevent looting, said Aksool. The fire in Bat Yam is the latest in a series over the last few weeks. Last month, 51 people were injured when a fire erupted in an eight-story building on one of the main roads in Petah Tikva, and a gas explosion in an apartment building in Haifa killed an 82-year old man.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings