Four held for firecracker attack at basketball game

Wounded security guard undergoes nine-hour surgery.

November 13, 2007 01:45
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Four Israeli basketball fans were under arrest Monday for allegedly hurling a firecracker courtside during a premier league basketball game in Jerusalem, police said. A security guard underwent nine hours of surgery Monday at Jerusalem's Hadassah-University Hospital to reattach his fingers and restore blood flow to his hand. Three of his fingers were damaged in the blast. The large firecracker exploded near the end of Sunday night's nationally televised game between Hapoel Jerusalem and Hapoel Holon. Jerusalem police overnight Sunday arrested four suspects - all fans of Hapoel Holon - in the incident, including a minor, Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby said. The two prime suspects were remanded in custody for five days on Monday by the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court, while the third adult was ordered held through Wednesday, as police complete their investigation. The key suspect, Yossi Malach, 20, has confessed to hurling the firecracker, and expressed remorse for his action. The 17-year-old minor was placed under house arrest for 30 days, and ordered to stay away from all sports stadiums for 180 days. The blast of the firecracker, which was heard throughout the stadium and on the TV broadcast, sent the security guard falling over in pain and a cloud of white smoke billowing in the air. "There was a huge boom and the whole place was shaking and everyone was panicking," said Mikey Leibowitz, 13, who was at the stadium. As rescue workers rushed to treat the guard, the game was called off, and fans were told to go home.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town