Friendly fire may have downed Apache

IDF investigation continues into Monday crash that killed two pilots.

July 25, 2006 02:29
2 minute read.
casualties of war special

cow.article. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The investigation into Monday's helicopter crash that claimed the lives of two pilots took an unexpected turn on Tuesday when investigators began to consider the possibility that the incident may have been caused by Israeli fire. The option being considered was a missile fired by an MLRS artillery battery struck the craft. A high-ranking IAF officer told The Jerusalem Post that the IDF was also checking into the possibility that the helicopter was shot down by Hizbullah operatives during fighting along the northern border. The IAF has said that Hizbullah might be in possession of shoulder-to-air missiles capable of downing aircraft. However, the option has been discounted by army investigators because there was no indication that a rocket was launched from Lebanon at the aircraft.

In the second helicopter crash in less than a week, two IAF pilots were killed on Monday morning when their Apache Longbow attack helicopter crash-landed and burst into flames north of Safed near the Lebanese border. The names of the two IAF pilots killed in the crash were released late Monday: Col. Tzvi Luft, 42, from Kibbutz Hogla and Lt. Tom Farkash, 23, from Caesarea. The crash sparked a huge blaze that engulfed a hilltop orchard overlooking the town of Rehaniya, about four kilometers south of the Lebanese border. Firefighters struggled to contain the flames to allow rescue workers to reach the burning helicopter. Commander of the IAF's Air Division Brig.-Gen. Yohanan Locker said during a briefing Monday that the cause of the crash was a mystery. "No fire was seen coming from Lebanon," he said. "The chance that the helicopter was shot down is slim due to the geographical conditions of the terrain as well as the fact that there was another helicopter in the formation before it that was meant to thwart such an attempt." Called Saraf (Seraph) by the IAF, the Longbow, manufactured by Boeing, is said to be the best attack helicopter in the world, possessing highly advanced radar, firing and maneuvering abilities. Since the beginning of Operation Change of Direction, IAF attack helicopters - including the Saraf - have carried out some 700 sorties over Lebanon. The IAF officer rejected initial reports that the helicopter got entangled in an electrical cable, saying that the aircraft was flying at a high altitude, far above electrical wires. While the officer said that the IDF was looking into the possibility that the Longbow was shot down by Hizbullah anti-aircraft fire, the more likely possibility, he said, was that the crash was caused by a technical failure. The helicopter, he said, was flying together in a formation with another helicopter and was in the midst of providing air cover for ground troops operating in southern Lebanon. The officer added that there did not appear to be a connection between the crash and last week's accident when two Apache attack helicopters collided over northern Israel. Maj. Ran Yehoshua Kochava, 37, was killed and three pilots were injured - one critically - in that collision.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town