Gangster survives hit in Rishon Lezion

Police: Drive-by shooting may be connected with 2 other attacks since Jan.

February 14, 2007 12:47
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


In what is suspected to be a gang-related attack, a 56-year-old man was in serious condition after being shot in Rishon Lezion Wednesday by a man on a motorcycle. The incident is thought to be connected to two other shootings which happened two weeks ago in Tel Aviv. In all three cases, police suspect that the motive derives from a dispute which erupted between Israeli gangs operating in New York 20 years ago. In Wednesday's event, the man on the motorcycle shot the victim multiple times while the latter was in his car. The wife of the victim then attempted to apprehend the shooter, but was unsuccessful. Police later found the gun, which had been discarded by the attacker as he fled. On February 1, 60-year-old Ran 'Freddy' Efrayim was also gunned down in a drive-by shooting, only steps away from his south Tel Aviv apartment. Efrayim, an art dealer, was allegedly part of the infamous New York Gang - an Israeli drug smuggling ring that operated in the Big Apple at the height of the cocaine craze of the eighties. He only returned to Israel in recent years after a long period in the US. On January 31, known criminal Shuli Rokach was seriously injured when a bomb exploded in his vicinity. In the late eighties and early nineties, the so-called New York Gang collapsed at the height of its power, as rival gangsters in the syndicate broke into two factions and began to kill each other off. While the bloodbath related to the gang's break-up seemed to stop in the early nineties, police believe that the hits picked up again in 2003. Since that year, three key players in the gang have all been murdered - and all three murders (the latest being Efrayim's) remain unsolved. The now-defunct gang was established by a group of Israeli drug dealers and gangsters who decamped to New York and set up a cocaine and heroin smuggling ring.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings