Actor Hanan Goldblatt's attorney told the Tel Aviv District Court on Monday that the testimony of two prosecution witnesses at his rape trial had severely weakened the state's case and that her client should be released from house arrest.
The court has yet to rule on the request.
Goldblatt was indicted on August 22, 2005 and has been under house arrest ever since. The charges against him include two counts of rape, one count of attempted rape with the woman's consent obtained by deceit, one count of committing an indecent act on a minor by exploiting his authority, two counts of committing an indecent act by exploiting his authority, one count of sodomy and two counts of grand larceny.
Goldblatt is charged with committing felonies against five women, including four minors aged 16 and 17. Goldblatt says that all the women freely consented to the sexual acts.
Although he was indicted over a year ago, Goldblatt's trial only began a few weeks ago. It is being held behind closed doors because of the nature of the charges. Monday's hearing dealt only with the request to terminate his house arrest.
A first hearing on the request was held on Sunday. Goldblatt's lawyer, Rachel Toren, told presiding judge Noga Ohad that the case had been "turned on its head" by the testimony of two of the women who filed police complaints against Goldblatt.
The prosecutor, Rakefet Segal-Mohar, said there had been no dramatic developments during testimony so far and that none of the women had withdrawn their complaints.