Gov’t to take on challenge of clearing minefields

Hanegbi tells 'Post' he'll personally commit to filing bill to establish ad-hoc gov't authority.

By REBECCA ANNA STOIL
March 16, 2010 23:00
1 minute read.
minefield sgin

minefield sign. (photo credit: courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

After years of government inaction, MKs will attempt to create an ad-hoc government authority tasked with clearing the country’s minefields, Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee Chairman Tzahi Hanegbi (Kadima) announced Tuesday.

Hanegbi told The Jerusalem Post that he would personally commit to filing a bill to establish such an authority, by the first week of the Knesset’s summer session.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Hangebi held a public meeting of the usually closed-door committee earlier in the day in an effort to raise awareness of the need to clear the approximately 40,000 land mines – placed mostly in the Golan Heights, the Jordan Valley and the Arava – that the Defense Ministry said were no longer needed for security reasons.

Hanegbi decided to hold a series of hearings on the issue following the injury of two young children who unwittingly entered a snowy minefield in the Golan Heights. One of the two siblings, 11-year-old Daniel Yuval, who lost his leg when the mine exploded, came to the committee to testify about his experience.

“I want to say one thing,” Yuval told the MKs. “We don’t need the mines at all, because it is a place where people go on holiday. They needed the mines 40 years ago, but now nobody uses them.”

After listening to testimony from local government representatives, mine-clearing experts, the IDF and the Defense Ministry, all of the MKs present complained that the issue had been pushed to the sidelines for too long. Ten years ago, noted MK Nahman Shai (Kadima), the State Comptroller’s Office released a report on the minefields, complaining that no single government agency held responsibility for clearing them, and no specific budget had been allocated for the time-consuming process.

Hanegbi proposed that an ad-hoc committee be established to coordinate the project both with Israeli bodies and with international anti-mine NGOs, and to manage the funds allocated for the project.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“This is a problem that has been addressed for years solely on the level of rhetoric,” complained Hanegbi. “But after what happened to Daniel, I decided that it was time for action.”Hangebi promised there would be further, more technical meetings in his committee regarding the mine-clearing process, which he said was a long one, but not one requiring an “astronomical budget.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN