Haifa lifeguard laid to rest, a year after the war

Family protests that only now is the city ready to rebuild their home.

August 30, 2007 21:52
1 minute read.
Haifa lifeguard laid to rest, a year after the war

Mohammed Don Salum 88. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Mohammed (Don) Salum, 41, was buried in the Haifa Christian Cemetery on Thursday afternoon, a year after a Katyusha rocket struck his home in the city during the Second Lebanon War. His family charged that it took his death to propel the city to promise to rebuild his home, which had been left in a state of disrepair while he lay in Rambam Hospital's intensive care unit. Hundreds of relatives and friends joined the funeral procession, which began at the spot where the Katyusha struck the house, on Rehov Caesarea in the Arab neighborhood of Wadi Nisnas, on August 6, 2006. Ignoring his own shrapnel wounds, Salum - a lifeguard at a Haifa beach - had raced into the home to rescue his mother and sister. He was injured further when a gas canister exploded in the house during his rescue. Two other people, Lebiba Masawi, 68, and Hanna Hamam, 62, were killed in the Wadi Nisnas rocket attack. Salum, who was severely burned over most of his body, blinded and lost one leg when the rocket struck, died in Rambam on Wednesday night. Munira, Salum's sister, expressed anger that their family home had not been repaired despite repeated pleas to the municipality and the state, forcing them to rent elsewhere; it was only on Thursday that the city agreed to finance its reconstruction. "Over the past year, we didn't receive any compensation for the house that was destroyed," she said. "Now we have been left without a brother and without a home." Salum was the 159th fatality of the war, and the 40th civilian death. He is survived by his mother, sister and three brothers. AP and JTA contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town