'Halutz appointment was a mistake'

Former OC Ground Forces: Air force cmdr. can't direct ground warfare.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 20, 2007 11:54
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services2. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Appointing an air force commander to the position of IDF Chief of General Staff was a mistake, Maj.-Gen. (res.) Emmanual Sakal said Saturday. Sakal, formerly OC Ground Forces, told Israel Radio that it had been a mistake to think that a pilot, "no matter how talented," could deal effectively with the problems faced by ground forces, especially during a war. According to Sakal, outgoing Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Dan Halutz's appointment had not been "free from political considerations."

  • Analysis: Can a fly-boy be chief of staff?
  • The second Lebanon war: JPost.com special report When asked about candidates to replace Halutz, Sakal said he hoped that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz would understand that "one of the candidates" was a better choice than the others. While Sakal refused to name which one, he said that the fact that the candidate was retired was an advantage rather than a disadvantage. Sakal said that the summer's Lebanon war exposed deficiencies caused by ongoing defense budget cuts since 1982. Sakal cited cutbacks to the training budget for regular and reserve soldiers, as well as funding for reserve days, and called for quick return to previous levels and frequency of training. On Friday, Army Radio quoted sources close to Olmert saying that the prime minister would work with Peretz to appoint a new chief of General Staff early next week, Army Radio reported. Earlier, sources across the political spectrum estimated that Olmert would delay the appointment under the assumption that the defense minister would stand down from his post in a matter of weeks. However, Peretz emphasized Friday that he would be the one to appoint the next IDF chief of General Staff in coordination with Olmert. Also, Army Radio reported that during a closed meeting, Peretz said that he would not "give Olmert the pleasure of seeing me resign." Reportedly, former prime minister Ehud Barak advised Olmert Thursday not to hasten the appointment of chief of staff, but instead to wait and "consider the subject well." In contrast, National Infrastructures Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer on Friday pushed for a rapid appointment of Halutz's successor and without regard for the changes likely to occur within the Defense Ministry. "There are three excellent candidates," said Ben-Eliezer. "There is no need to delay the appointment."

  • Related Content

    Jisr az-Zarq
    April 3, 2014
    Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

    By SHARON UDASIN