Hospital brawl ends in death of patient

Visiting family members clash over volume of radio in Kfar Saba; one wounded, another arrested.

October 11, 2007 12:16
1 minute read.
Hospital brawl ends in death of patient

hospital 224.88. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An argument which erupted between two elderly, female patients in a Kfar Saba hospital over the volume of a radio ended in tragedy overnight Wednesday, with one of the two patients dead, one visiting family member wounded and another arrested. Officials at Meir Hospital reported that the argument between the two patients turned violent when the son of one of the patients attacked a member of the other patient's family. By the time the fight had been broken up, the condition of the patient who had wanted to listen to the radio had worsened, and she died during the night due to complications. According to reports, the attacker, a 46-year-old Herzliya man, first yelled at the family member of the other patient, then pushed her, and then threw the radio to the floor. When medical staff arrived at the scene, the attacker began to yell at them, too. Police were summoned, and a struggle ensued. The officers managed to detain the man only after spraying him twice with pepper spray. The man was detained by the police and later arrested on charges of public disorder and attacking a hospital nurse. "At this time, we are unable to prove the connection between the death of the patient and what happened in the hospital room, and therefore the suspect is not charged with anything connected to her death," Police Commander Maurice Harosh said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town