IDF defends Ramallah anti-terror campaigns

Peretz reportedly wasn't told about op that left 6 Palestinians dead; Central Command: Diplomatic echelon don't need to be informed prior to such ops.

By
January 5, 2007 08:06
2 minute read.
maj-gen yair naveh 298 88 idf

yair naveh 298 88 idf. (photo credit: IDF [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Deflecting criticism that last Thursday's botched operation in Ramallah soured Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's meeting with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Central Command sources pointed Saturday to weekend violence in the West Bank as proof of the need for such anti-terror operations. OC Central Command Maj.-Gen. Yair Naveh, who approved the mid-day arrest operation in downtown Ramallah, came under criticism from diplomatic officials, who claimed the general should have taken into consideration the damage the botched operation could have on Olmert's concurrent meeting in Egypt. Six Palestinians were killed in the operation and some 30 others were wounded, as soldiers tried to apprehend a fugitive Palestinian terrorist.

  • 6 Palestinians die in IDF Ramallah raid According to reports, Naveh did not inform Defense Minister Amir Peretz of the raid before it was carried out. Central Command sources said that Naveh was not obligated to inform the diplomatic echelon prior to such operations that "were carried out daily in the West Bank." According to the sources, the suspect was a senior terror operative and the operation had been given the green light after intelligence was received indicating that he was inside a building in downtown Ramallah. "This arrest raid was one of dozens we conduct [each] week," said one source in the Central Command. "Just like the diplomatic echelon is not updated on those, it was also not updated on this one." Labor MK Danny Yatom said Friday that such an operation should not have been carried out while Olmert was meeting Mubarak in Sharm e-Sheikh. Infrastructure Minister and former defense minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer expressed similar sentiments. "I don't think this operation should have been carried out on the day of a visit by the Israeli prime minister to a country in which we have a supreme strategic interest," Ben-Eliezer said. "Our relations with Egypt are more important to us than anything else." Mubarak criticized the raid during the meeting with Olmert on Thursday, saying that it was hindering peace efforts. Olmert apologized for the deaths of civilians, but emphasized that the aim of the operation in Ramallah had been to catch a terrorist involved in activity against Israel. On Saturday, IDF reservists discovered a homemade gun near Kalkilya. In Hebron, a Palestinian was arrested after he was caught at a checkpoint near the city in possession of three knives. Another Palestinian was arrested after he tried to steal a soldier's rifle at a checkpoint near the West Bank village of Rafat. Also Saturday, IDF troops opened fire at a group of 10 Palestinians who had approached the security fence in the northern Gaza Strip. Two of the Palestinians were wounded.

    Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

  • Related Content

    Jisr az-Zarq
    April 3, 2014
    Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

    By SHARON UDASIN