IDF demolishes Beduin huts in W. Bank

Scuffles break out between soldiers and squatters before 7 illegal huts razed.

By
February 14, 2007 20:51
1 minute read.
IDF demolishes Beduin huts in W. Bank

beduin construction 298. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The IDF on Wednesday demolished seven huts and tents belonging to Beduin Arabs who live near Jewish settlements in the southern West Bank, residents and the army said. Several of the Beduin men displaced by the demolition in the Hathaleen area southeast of Hebron scuffled with soldiers as the forces removed mattresses and other belongings from the homes before two bulldozers knocked them down. Some of the women threw stones at the soldiers while others fell to the ground, sobbing. Four Beduin were detained by the soldiers, according to witnesses. A total of 75 Beduin were displaced by the demolition, residents said. The army said the structures did not have building permits and the Palestinians had been warned to take them down. "We went to court to try to stop the demolitions but we didn't succeed," said resident Mahmud Abu Aram. The army's Civil Administration, which issues demolition orders, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on why the huts were knocked down. Israel often demolishes Palestinian structures built without permission in the areas of the West Bank that it controls. After sundown Wednesday, Israeli forces removed about 20 Jewish settlers from an empty house in the divided West Bank city of Hebron, a few hours after the Israelis - mostly women and children - entered the structure, Army radio reported.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN