IDF soldier wounded by stones in Hebron

Earlier, 4 Palestinian operatives killed in IDF operations in W. Bank, Gaza.

February 1, 2007 10:44
3 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An IDF soldier was lightly wounded on Thursday night when he was struck by a stone thrown by Palestinians in Hebron. The soldier was evacuated to Jeruslem's Hadassa Ein Kerem Hospital for medical treatment. Earlier Thursday, in a joint IDF, Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) and Border Police arrest operation, Gasser Abu Zarib, an Al Aksa Martyrs Brigades operative, was killed as he attempted to escape security forces. Abu Zarib was a weapons dealer, who had been involved in shooting attacks in the Tulkarm area and had assisted other Palestinian operatives. The troops entered the West Bank town to arrest Amer Mahmud Muhamad Barake, 20, a senior Al Aksa operative, who several months ago, had attempted to fire a Kassam rocket towards the Bat Hefer neighborhood in the West Bank. Abu Zarib was shot dead and Barake was wounded. The two were evacuated to Belinson Hospital in Petah Tikva where Zariv died of his wounds. The IDF said that, in addition to the attepted Kassam attack, a month ago Barake attempted to recruit a suicide bomber in order to carry out a bombing attack that was directed by operatives from the Gaza Strip. He is also suspected of being involved in manufacturing several explosive belts and explosive devices, and was allegedly involved in several shooting attacks against IDF troops operating in Tulkarm. Accoring to the IDF, Barake's terror activities were directed by Hizbullah terrorists and by operatives from the Gaza Strip. Barake also served as a middleman between operatives from the Gaza Strip and operatives in Tulkarm. Barake and Abu Zarib were part of a West Bank rocket launching cell, ten of whose members have been recently arrested by the IDF. Moments before the Tulkarm operation, two Kassam rockets were fired at Sderot. No casualties or damage were reported. Earlier Thursday, Palestinian Authority spokesperson Nabil Abu Rdainah called an IDF predawn raid in Nablus, in which two Palestinian terror operatives were killed, a crime and a cold-blooded killing, Israel Radio reported. Abu Rdainah declared that Israel's ongoing acts of killing proved that Israel wanted to perpetuate the cycle of violence in order to sabotage efforts to establish calm in the region and promote the peace process. In the Nablus raid, IDF troops from the Golani Brigade's Reconnaissance unit shot and killed two Fatah operatives during a gunfight. Troops operating in the city also discovered a Fatah explosives lab in which they found a five-kilogram bomb ready for use, in addition to loads of other weaponry and explosives. Central Command sources said that the troops, acting on intelligence, had thwarted what could have been an imminent attack against military forces in the West Bank or Israeli civilians. Later Thursday morning, IDF troops shot and killed a Palestinian who tried to infiltrate Israel through the security fence near the Kalandiya refugee camp, north of Jerusalem, on Thursday morning. The troops saw the man attempting to cut his way through the fence and fired at his lower body. The soldiers tried to treat the man on the scene, but according to Palestinian health officials, the 17-year-old Palestinian's artery was severed and he bled to death. In a separate incident on Thursday morning, troops shot and wounded a Palestinian man along the Gaza Strip fence, Palestinian and Israeli officials said. The man, a 35-year-old farmer, was shot twice and taken to the hospital in moderate condition, according to Dr. Muawiya Hassanin of the Palestinian Health Ministry. Late Wednesday night, the wife of an Islamic Jihad operative arrested in Nablus earlier in the day was hospitalized in serious condition after she was wounded by an explosive set off by IDF troops near the door of the house during the raid. The woman was taken by an IAF helicopter to Tel Hashomer Hospital in Israel.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings