IDF thwarts suicide attack in Petah Tikva

Kills Islamic Jihad chief in Nablus area

December 14, 2006 22:42
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Israel Police's counter-terror Yamam squad swept into the el-Ayin refugee camp near Nablus Thursday afternoon and thwarted a suicide attack in Petah Tikva after killing a local leader of the Islamic Jihad. Security officials said that Muhammad Ramaha, the target of the raid, was in the past a member of the Aksa Martyrs Brigades but recently became head of the Nablus-based Islamic Jihad Jerusalem Brigades. Ramaha was involved in a series of terror attacks in the Nablus area and in recent weeks - since the cease-fire went into effect in the Gaza Strip - was busy planning a suicide attack inside Israel. IDF sources said the target was Petah Tikva. Late Wednesday night, IDF troops discovered an eight-kilogram bomb in a car they were inspecting at a checkpoint east of Nablus. Four men were detained and security sources said that Ramaha was behind the planning of the thwarted car-bomb attack. "Nablus is the Palestinian national terror capital," said Col. Amir Baram, head of the Samaria Brigade. "Despite the cease-fire in Gaza, in Nablus the terror groups are very active in planning terror attacks." Earlier in the day, IDF troops shot and killed a Palestinian man in the village of Kufr al-Dik, also near Nablus. The IDF said soldiers in the village encountered a riot, with residents throwing stones and cinder blocks. Palestinians said the man was throwing stones at two army jeeps that entered the village of Kufr al-Dik around noon Thursday when he was shot by troops. He was wounded in the chest and died on the way to the hospital, they said. Security officials said there were presently eight concrete terror warnings, mostly from the northern West Bank, concerning suicide attacks inside Israel, shooting attacks and kidnappings. Baram said that the IDF took into account the effect operations in the West Bank could have on the fragile Gaza cease-fire, but operations would continue. "We try very hard not to make mistakes and hurt innocent people. since this can give excuses to those in the Gaza Strip to breach the cease-fire," he said. Two rockets landed in Sderot last night. One person suffered from shock.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town