IDF to remove Yitzhar perimeter

Maj. Gen. Naveh: Settlers violated deal by destroying expensive equipment.

By MARGOT DUDKEVITCH, MATTHEW GUTMAN
November 2, 2005 06:16
2 minute read.
yitzhar confrontation298

yitzhar confrontation298. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The IDF plans to dismantle the security fence encompassing the settlement of Yitzhar after its residents destroyed surveillance cameras and other electronic equipment. OC Central Command Maj.-Gen. Yair Naveh decided to remove the fence and early warning system that was constructed to enhance the settlers' security some years ago. Settlers claimed that the surveillance cameras were placed to monitor their activities rather then enhance their security, and the community made the decision to demand their removal. After security forces discovered the equipment had been damaged, Naveh made the decision to remove it. While Central Command officials confirmed the decision, they were unable to divulge when the fence will be dismantled. Yigal Amitay, a resident of Yitzhar for 17 years and the community's spokesman, said bluntly, "There is no fence to take down and never was one." The settlers' decision to do without government-supplied security is a first among legal settlements. But according to Amitay, "the residents here are willing to accept the danger." "We would not recommend such an act," said Helik Navon, spokesman for the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza. "Our primary goal is security. Residents [of settlements] have to put security before everything." The IDF is tasked with providing Jewish residents of the West Bank with security, and it should be allowed to do its job, added Navon. But that is the point, say Yitzhar locals. Ever since the IDF packed up its post in Yitzhar in January, patrols through the settlement itself have become increasingly sporadic. Naveh and Judea and Samaria Police Cmdr. Yisrael Yitzhak yanked the paratroop company stationed at the settlement after residents ransacked the soldiers' base. They attacked soldiers, punctured IDF vehicles, and cut off the water supply. In April a Border Police unit began patrolling the settlement, but locals felt that the patrols monitored settler activity rather than guarding against possible Palestinian attacks.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN