Illegal outposts to be evacuated in June

Ramon tells committee that evacuation will begin in a few weeks.

By DAN IZENBERG
June 6, 2006 09:57
1 minute read.
illegal outpost 88

illegal outpost 88. (photo credit: )

The evacuation of illegal outposts in the West Bank would begin in a few weeks, Justice Minister Haim Ramon said late Sunday night. He was speaking after a meeting of the Ministerial Committee on Outposts established by the government at its first cabinet meeting on May 21. In a swipe at Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz, a fellow Kadima member, Ramon said there would no longer be "a situation in which the government determines its policy in Judea and Samaria and a minister's assistant decides, without being authorized to do so, to set his own policy with the knowledge of his boss." Ramon was referring to the activities of Ron Shachner, Mofaz's adviser on settlement matters when he was defense minister, who was singled out in a report on illegal outposts published by attorney Talia Sasson on March 9, 2003. Sasson appeared before the committee on Sunday to discuss her report. Ramon said he would invite representatives of the Defense Ministry to the next meeting to report which of Sasson's recommendations had been implemented. In December, Sasson told The Jerusalem Post that the army had only implemented one of several recommendations included in her report. Ramon said that all of the recommendations made by Attorney-General Menahem Mazuz to the previous government regarding the illegal outposts would automatically be adopted by the committee. Ramon also announced that he intended to invite representatives of the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea, Samaria and the Gaza Strip and of Peace Now, which has been monitoring the outposts for several years, to future committee meetings.


Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN