Inbal Amram murder case solved

Palestinian car thief stabbed Amram after trying to steal her car at knifepoint.

April 4, 2006 16:34
3 minute read.
Inbal Amram murder case solved

inbal amram. (photo credit: Channel 1)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Kalkilya resident has been arrested for murdering 20-year old Inbal Amram in early March after an attempted car jacking went wrong, police said on Tuesday after a gag order on the case was lifted. The unnamed suspect, who is also about 20, was picked up Sunday by an elite border police unit following a joint investigation by the investigations unit of the Yarkon area and the Shin Bet security service.

JPOST.COM HIT LIST's most popular articles this past week
Police Superintendent Dudi Bar, who led the investigation, said detectives knew who the suspect was about three days after the murder, as is his finger prints were found at the crime scene and he was already known to the police for previous car crimes. However, it took almost a month to arrest the suspect because he was from the Palestinian Authority. "It's hard to find people in the territories," Bar said, adding that police also wanted to collect further evidence against the suspect to strengthen their case. The Palestinian told interrogators that he arrived in Petah Tikva in the early hours of Saturday, March 4 with the original intention of stealing a vehicle. As he was looking at the cars in the area, Inbal exited her house to collect her sister from a party, climbed into the car and prepared to drive off. "The suspect (then) opened the door, threatened the victim with a knife and entered the car," the police said. "The victim tried to escape and the suspect stabbed her in the neck and fled the area with the car until he came to the place where the vehicle and the body were found. At this stage, the suspect tried to set the car on fire but was unsuccessful and left the area," the police said. When Inbal didn't arrive at the party the family called the police, who at first refused to search for her. They eventually relented and after an operation involving a police helicopter, Inbal's body and car were found a few hours after she disappeared in a field near the Pi Glilot fuel depot in North Tel Aviv. While three of the officers involved in dealing with the Amram's request to search for Inbal have been disciplined for their behavior, police don't believe that a quicker response would have saved her life. "This is because the murder was very close to the burglary itself," a senior officer explained. Inbal's father, Hananiya, told Israeli television that the initial police response was still very hard for him to accept but that he would like to meet the suspect. "I want to look at him in the eyes and ask him what right he had to take my daughter," Hananiya said. Since the murder, it has been difficult for him to return to his work in a garage. "I tried, but I have been unable to function. It's very difficult. It hurts. The pictures are looking at me all the time," he said. Although the gag order on many of the details of the investigation has been lifted, it is still forbidden to disclose the suspect's name and any details that might identify him. "He hasn't yet appeared in court and the law does not allow the identification of a suspect before this happens. He should appear in court in the coming days, maybe on Thursday or on Sunday. In addition there are a number of things that we are still investigating," said Bar. This includes the possibility that there are other suspects in the murder. "The chances are very small but we are obligated to look into this," he said, adding that he hopes that the accused will be indicted within a week or two.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town