Israel-US strategic talks on hold

By
November 22, 2005 01:32
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's dramatic decision to leave the Likud Monday has deferred an already long-delayed strategic dialogue with the US. Minister Tzahi Hanegbi, who last month was tabbed as the head of the Israeli team to the talks, was reportedly slated to leave Monday night for the US. However, following Sharon's surprise move, diplomatic officials said that the talks would take place next week. Even though Hanegbi has temporarily replaced Sharon as Likud chairman, the officials said he was still scheduled to head the Israeli delegation. Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom announced in October the renewal of the strategic dialogue which had been frozen for more than two years, reportedly because of the crisis over Israeli arms sales to China. That crisis was resolved earlier in the year. The purpose of the dialogue is to step back from the everyday issues and establish a framework where wider, strategic issues can be discussed in depth. In addition to Hanegbi, the Israeli team is also expected to include Foreign Ministry Director-General Ron Prosor. The US team is expected to be led by Nick Burns, the undersecretary of state for political affairs.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN