Israel gives Egypt a chance

Defense official: PM's decision to halt Gaza ops meant to give Egypt time.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 1, 2006 12:07
1 minute read.
Israel gives Egypt a chance

koran banner 298 88 ap. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A senior defense official said that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's decision to halt this week's IDF incursion into the Gaza Strip was intended to give a chance to mediation efforts on the part of the Egyptian government. According to the defense official, speaking to Israel Radio on Saturday, the IDF could resume the operation at any moment, since it involved advancing only a few kilometers. Olmert held off on a planned incursion into the northern Gaza Strip Thursday night, ordering the military to suspend its plans to take over the Kassam launch sites and to give diplomatic efforts a chance to retrieve kidnapped IDF soldier Cpl. Gilad Shalit. Columns of tanks and an entire infantry regiment had been put on standby outside Kibbutz Mefalsim near northern Gaza in preparation for the planned incursion initially scheduled for Thursday night. Speaking of IDF officers reported to have criticized the decision to halt the incursion, the defense official said that anonymous angry officers were a feature of every military operation. According to the official, the question was who would take responsibility for the results of the operations, including operational failures and possible casualties among IDF troops. It was a good thing that the government did not accept IDF recommendations blindly, but rather incorporated IDF recommendations into general government policy, the official concluded.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN