Israel's indomitable warrior loses his final battle

Following severe stroke, multiple surgeries, Ariel Sharon succumbs to his own health at XXX, Israel time.

January 6, 2006 14:25
2 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Hadassah-University Hospital Director-General Prof. Shlomo Mor-Yosef declared that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon did not survive brain surgery the performed on Friday afternoon. The prime minister was pronounced dead at XXX. Sharon was rushed to surgery at the hospital following a CAT scan conducted on Friday morning, which revealed sources of bleeding in the brain and an expansion of the cerebral ventricles. The operation lasted two hours, but ultimately failed. To send your condolences to the passing of Ariel Sharon click here. Although the time and location of Sharon's funeral was not yet announced, many world leaders were expected to attend. The late prime minister was admitted to Hadassah, Ein Kerem on Wednesday evening. While he was conscious upon arrival, his condition quickly deteriorated. CAT scans that were conducted revealed extensive cerebral hemorrhaging. Sharon was rushed into surgery to try to control the bleeding; the operation lasted all of Thursday morning. Sharon was artificially respirated and kept in an induced coma following his surgery. During that time it was revealed that his pupils responded normally, but no other physical or cognitive tests could be conducted while the prime minister remained unconscious. Originally doctors planned to awaken Sharon from his coma on Sunday to assess the extent of his recovery, however, after another CAT scan on Friday indicated additional bleeding, he was returned to the operating room.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town