(photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski)
The custody of the main suspect in Friday night’s unprovoked mass assault on a Chilean tourist in Jerusalem was extended by three days on Monday.
Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court Judge Shimon Feinberg ruled that the evidence against the suspect – including a positive identification by an eyewitness – was convincing.
Eight people were arrested early on Saturday for the assault, in which the tourist was moderately wounded before being evacuated to hospital. Seven were released to house arrest on Monday.
The suspects were allegedly intoxicated during the attack, in which they were said to have used broken bottles and other items, including a guitar.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the suspects had been uncooperative, refusing to answer any questions. He added that the victim had told police he was targeted because “he looks like an Arab,” although investigators were unable to confirm this among the suspects during questioning.
“This is just one of the things being examined,” Rosenfeld said.
During Monday’s remand hearing, a police representative said the victim
had reported being attacked by a shirtless man, adding that a youth
fitting this description with blood stains on his army pants was
arrested minutes after the assault.
The main suspect’s attorney, Lora Bar-Alon, argued that there was
insufficient evidence to establish with any certainty that her client
had been the attacker.