Kidnapping threat feared in Sinai

PMO's anti-terrorism branch urges Israelis in the peninsula to return home.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 9, 2006 00:23
dahab blast 298.88

dahab blast 298.88. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The staff stated that they had concrete information of a specific terrorist cell that planned on kidnapping Israelis in the near future. The Sinai Peninsula has been a popular tourist site for Israelis, in spite of a standing advisory that had been in place for two years, warning against going there because of the threat of terrorism. Brig.-Gen. (res.) Elkana Har-Nof told Israel Radio that all of Egypt, and especially the Sinai Peninsula, had become a hotbed of terrorist activity in recent years. He said the whole region was dangerous not only to Israelis, but to others as well. However, this attack, Har-Nof said, applied specifically to Israelis. He noted that the Egyptian authorities were aware of the threats and were working hard to stop terrorist activity, but ultimately, they are not able to prevent every attack. Just two weeks ago, the Sinai resort of Dahab was struck by three bombs, killing nearly 30 people. The Dahab attack was the third such terrorist assault in two years, following similar strikes in Sharm e-Sheikh last July and another in Taba in 2004. Over 100 people were killed in the three attacks.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN