MKs support move to scrap Wisconsin Plan

The program has been consistently criticized for forcing employment on elderly, disabled or unsuitable people.

By
February 21, 2007 23:46
1 minute read.
wisconsin plan 88

wisconsin plan 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Knesset Labor, Welfare and Health Committee said Wednesday it will support scrapping the Mehalev "welfare-to-work" program, commonly known as the Wisconsin Plan. During the panel's meeting, Industry, Trade and Labor Minister Eli Yishai (Shas) said Mehalev had been a failure and that he had already notified all those involved that it would not continue beyond July, when contracts for the two-year pilot expire. Yishai added that only 8 or 9 percent of participants had managed to find work. "I support the decision of the industry, trade and labor minister to discontinue the Wisconsin Plan and promise him our full support in finding an alternative plan that is not so negative and will allow people to go out to work," committee chairman Moshe Sharoni (Gil Pensioners Party) said. The Mehalev program, which began operation in August 2005 and is currently run by four multinational companies in Jerusalem, Nazareth, Hadera-Wadi Ara and Sderot-Ashkelon, has been consistently criticized for attempting to force unemployed people who are elderly, disabled or totally unsuitable for employment to participate in the program full-time or have their social welfare benefits stopped. Last month, 83 MKs - including Likud Chairman Binyamin Netanyahu, who was involved in initiating the program when he was finance minister, and coalition chairman Avigdor Yitzhaki (Kadima) - lent their support to a bill calling for the program to be immediately canceled. On February 4, the government decided to set up an interministerial committee to draft drastic changes to the Wisconsin program with the help of social advocacy groups and some of Mehalev's fiercest critics. On Tuesday, however, the Bank of Israel reiterated its support for the continuation of the program - with adjustments - as an important way to reduce government expenditure and said that in its first year of operation Mehalev, succeeded in placing a large number of participants in jobs.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN