Man gets jail for transporting bomber

Kfar Kassem resident convicted of manslaughter for driving terrorist in 2002.

May 8, 2007 11:20
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A man convicted of manslaughter for driving a suicide bomber to his destination five years ago was sentenced on Tuesday in the Tel Aviv District Court to seven years in prison. Islam Badir, 28, of Kfar Kassem, agreed to a plea bargain and was charged with manslaughter and 55 counts of causing grievous harm for driving the bomber from Kfar Kassem to Petah Tikva. The terrorist finally detonated himself on Allenby St. in Tel Aviv, killing Rachel Charchi, 38, and wounding 55 others. Despite the fact that Badir was aware that his passenger was planning a terror attack, the judge wrote in the ruling, he had "shut his eyes and done nothing." Less than a month ago, three Israelis were sentenced to 13 years in prison for having transported a suicide bomber who blew himself up outside Netanya's Sharon Mall in July 2005. Five were killed in the attack and more than 90 wounded. The three, Ramat Gan resident Kfir Levy, 26, Taiba resident Shani Saif Azzam, 35, and Abd Abu Mukh, 30, of Baka al-Gharbiya, were convicted in March of manslaughter and on 30 counts of causing serious injury. The judge ruled that the three had suspected that their passenger was a terrorist but did nothing about it. Instead, they were satisfied when the bomber showed them tools in his bag, which he said were to be used for stealing cars. They were paid NIS 1,000 each for transporting the bomber, five times the usual fare for the journey.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings