Mines to be cleared for new Arab school

Hundreds of Jordanian mines will be removed to build boys' high school.

By ETGAR LEFKOVITS
November 8, 2005 23:37
3 minute read.
JPost talkback add

JPost talkback add. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Jerusalem minefield on the outskirts of the city is being cleared of the hundreds of explosives placed there by the Jordanians four decades ago to make way for a new Arab high school, the city said Tuesday. The area in question, located at the entrance to the east Jerusalem villages of Sur Bahir and Umm Tuba which lies next to Kibbutz Ramat Rachel on the city's southeastern rim has been off-limits to villagers since the 1967 Six Day War. Huge yellow signs reading 'Danger Mines!' in Arabic Hebrew and English have lined the fenced-off hilltop. The city said that it is estimated that as many as 400 mines are buried in the 30 dunam field. The project, which got under way Tuesday at the initiative of Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski, is expected to cost NIS 2 million. After the area is cleared of the old explosives, a new boy's high school will be constructed at the site at an expected cost of NIS 33 million, the city said. The budget for the unusual project is being jointly funded with the defense ministry, while the school is being built with funding from the Education Ministry, the city said. The infrastructure work and city services in Jerusalem Arab villages lag way behind that of Jewish neighborhoods of the city, although, over the last decade, the municipality has done much to try and rectify this situation, specifically under the tenure of former Jerusalem Mayor Ehud Olmert. Last year, in an abrupt turnaround, Olmert listed Sur Baher and Umm Tuba as one of six outlying Jerusalem Arab villages he was willing to cede to the Palestinians as part of a final peace agreement.


Send us your comments >> James, Canada: Last year, in an abrupt turnaround, Olmert listed Sur Baher and Umm Tuba as one of six outlying Jerusalem Arab villages he was willing to cede to the Palestinians as part of a final peace agreement. When I read this statement I almost got sick.....when are Israelites going to get the picture???? Stop giving those terrorists anything especially your land that God gave you thousands of years ago. If you want to give them something take the mines you dig up and plant them somewhere that the terrorists are sneaking into Israel with their rockets and guns and bombs.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN