Mofaz to remain in Likud

By MATTHEW GUTMAN
November 21, 2005 23:43
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A visibly nervous Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz took the podium in the Defense Ministry Monday evening to announce what many had already begun to expect: he would stay with the Likud Party. With Sharon charting a new course with a new party, Mofaz said, "I came to the conclusion that the best place for me, for the present moment, and for the future, is to stay in the Likud." "I have decided to stay in the Likud and campaign for the Likud chairmanship," he said. "I believe I have the necessary qualities to lead the Likud, and I believe that I can win." He offered himself up as the ideal statesman, a person with experience in security, politics and diplomacy. The press conference was ostensibly arranged for Mofaz to brief reporters on the escalating situation along the northern border with Lebanon, where Hizbullah launched a multi-pronged attack Monday that left four of its own men dead and more than 10 Israelis wounded. Mofaz offered his condolences to the families of the injured and vowed that Israel would do its utmost to provide security for northern residents. Mofaz, who warned of such attacks yesterday, said, "Syria and Iran are behind these attacks." International pressure on both rogue states spurred them to escalate the violence along the northern border, he reported. He would not detail what Israel's response would be.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN