More homes approved for settlements

PM spokesman: Plans for latest construction began over 5 years ago.

By HILARY LEILA KRIEGER
December 26, 2005 16:22
1 minute read.
construction 88

construction 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Peace Now and the Council of Jewish Communities in Judea, Samaria, and the Gaza Strip (Yesha) finally found something they can agree on. They both claimed that the government's decision to publish tenders for West Bank housing Monday was motivated by election politics. The building plans call for 228 new units in Betar Illit and Efrat, just outside of Bethlehem. Both groups described the move as an attempt by Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, whose new Kadima Party has endorsed a Palestinian state, to pander to the right and claim some of the Likud vote. But, while Peace Now said the decision highlights Sharon's efforts to establish "facts on the ground" in order to retain settlement blocs, the settlers' council called it "too little, too late." "He wants to seem as if he's very generous, but he's not. He's not helping the settlers," said Emily Amrusy, spokeswoman for Yesha. She added that the West Bank has been slated to hold more Israelis according to development plans prepared long ago. She said these new tenders are only being advertised for settlements where "there's no dispute" because "they will still be part of Israel under any peace agreement." But Dror Etkes, who heads the Settlement Watch Operation for Peace Now, implied that Sharon is in essence seeking to avoid dispute - or at least negotiations - in these areas. "Israel is trying to unilaterally build as much as possible in the settlements west of the barrier to annex them de facto," he said. To Etkes, it seemed that Sharon had returned to his role as a chief architect of the settlement movement. Etkes accused Israel of violating its road map commitments to freeze settlement activity and noted that this initiative comes amidst election fervor. "The assumption is that there will be much less media attention around it," he charged. Saeb Erekat, the chief negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, also condemned the move and urged US intervention. Sharon spokesman Ra'anan Gissin said the Efrat and Betar Illit building projects had been in the works for five years, and both are communities that Israel plans to hold onto under a final settlement with the Palestinians. "These are the large settlement blocs," he said. "They will be strengthened." The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN