Mother found guilty of drowning son

Mother found guilty of d

November 17, 2009 11:46
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Following a plea bargain, the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court on Tuesday morning convicted Regina Kruchkov of killing her four-year-old son Michael. She is expected to receive a 12-month prison sentence, pending approval by the court. Kruchkov, 31, was arrested in September 2008 after calling emergency services and telling the operator that she had killed her son. The call was traced to a south Tel Aviv address, and paramedics found the body of four-year-old Michael on a bed in the woman's apartment. In accordance with the deal, Kruchkov pleaded guilty to killing the boy by drowning him in a tub. Throughout the legal proceedings, Kruchkov did not offer a motive for her deed, instead reacting with fear, shock and regret when confronted with the allegations against her. The Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court and the Tel Aviv District Court were for months at odds over whether she was mentally fit to stand trial. "It was a cruel murder, committed in cold blood and apparently without a motive," stated the charge sheet. Since emigrating from the former Soviet Union, Kruchkov had lived with her bedridden mother, younger brother Vitaly - an IDF combat soldier - and young Michael, whose biological father was unlisted, in the small apartment near Tel Aviv's central bus station. "I tried to ask her why... She won't answer," Vitaly had told Channel 10 following the killing. "It started after she broke up with her boyfriend, Michael's father, and deteriorated until she was constantly depressed and barely communicating," he said. "However, there is a grave difference between depression and what she did." Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town