Navy ship redeploys following attack

3 weeks after sustaining direct missile hit, Hanit returns to sea.

August 6, 2006 11:44
1 minute read.
Navy ship redeploys following attack

saar navy ship 298 88. (photo credit: IDF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Israeli naval vessel Hanit which was struck by an Iranian C-802 missile off the coast of Beirut three weeks ago, killing four soldiers, returned to sea on Sunday morning. Navy crews worked around-the-clock to repair the damage and the ship reassumed its combat role in Lebanon.

According to a senior Military Intelligence officer, the C-802 missiles were made in China but upgraded by Iran, which had made improvements to the radar-guided system and delivered it to Hizbullah. Senior naval officers admitted at the time that they were taken by surprise, claiming that they did not know that Hizbullah possessed such advanced capabilities. The missile has a 100-kilometer range. Officials also confirmed that the anti-missile detection systems were not operating at the time of the attack. Rear Admiral Noam Feig, head of Naval Operations, said that the missile had hit the rear of the vessel and had exploded in an area that contained fuel supplies, which started a fire on-board. All crew members worked hard to extinguish the fire before carrying out a head count of sailors. The count then showed that four soldiers were missing. Shortly thereafter, all four bodies were recovered. The soliders killed were identified as: Third Petty Officer Tal Amgar, 21, from Ashdod; L.-Rtg. Shai Atias, 19, from Rishon Lezion; Fourth Petty Officer Yaniv Hershkovitz, 21, from Haifa; and First Petty Officer Dov Shtierenshos, 37, from Karmiel.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town


Cookie Settings