Netanya man killed was convicted of manslaughter

Current victim Yossef Turjeman responsible for death of Merav Gabai, 26, from Pardes Hanna in 2005 during police chase after attempted mob hit.

November 12, 2010 15:38
1 minute read.
A body bag being loaded into a van.

body bag 311. (photo credit: Aloni Mor)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Twenty-eight-year-old Yossef Turjeman from Hadera was shot and killed in Netanya overnight Thursday.

Magen David Adom crews who were called to the scene attempted to resuscitate Turjeman, who suffered gunshot wounds to the face, but ultimately pronounced his death. The shooting took place at a private home in which a card gambling parlor operated.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Reputed Netanya mobster arrested
Top Netanya mobster arrested for abetting murder

Turjeman was known to police and had a criminal past. Last year, he was released from prison after he was convicted in 2005 for manslaughter, possession of a weapon and assaulting a police officer.

In 2005, Turjeman and a friend tried to fire a LAW anti-tank weapon at an event hall in Pardes Hanna in an attempt to kill a high-ranking mobster. During an subsequent police chase, the two caused the death of Merav Gabai, age 26.

Along with Turjeman on Thursday night, another man, age 27, was shot and seriously injured. Gamblers at the location realized the man was injured and walked him down the street to a MDA crew who evacuated him to Laniado Hospital in the city.

Police are continuing their investigation.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town