Outpost next door to Lieberman's settlement vows it won't be evacuated

By RUTHIE BLUM LEIBOWITZ
November 3, 2006 06:58
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Residents of the West Bank outpost Ma'aleh Rehavam are adamant that they will be staying put, despite having received a renewed evacuation notice from the IDF. What makes the fate of the outpost particularly intriguing is that it lies just a kilometer and a half from the Nokdim settlement, home to new Deputy Prime Minister Avigdor Lieberman. The Israel Beiteinu head had previously stipulated that his party would not join the coalition unless thee was a freeze on the dismantling of such outposts. According to Ma'aleh Rehavam general secretary Moriya Halamish, attempts to enlist Lieberman's aid have so far gone unanswered. Ironically, the outpost received the latest eviction notice on the very day last week that Lieberman announced he intended to join the government. This is not the first time the outpost - established five years ago, following the assassination of tourism minister Rehavam Ze'evi -has been targeted for dismantling, said former general secretary Drori Bar-Levav. Bar-Levav, who claimed "to have documents proving that the outpost is not illegal, but rather within a governmentapproved boundary," said the attempt to remove it was a way of "avoiding treating it like Gush Katif, in terms of pinui-pitzui [evacuation and compensation]." The first time residents were slated for evacuation was more than two years ago, said Bar-Levav, at which point "our appeal wasn't rejected." He added that Peace Now then petitioned the High Court of Justice to have the outpost removed. The court's response, he said, "was to reprimand Peace Now for its interference on the one hand, which bought us time, and later to ignore the first nonrejection of the outpost's appeal on the other, which led to the second evacuation notice."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN