'PA opposition delaying written US freeze proposal'

Jerusalem official claims Palestinians won't accept proposal because it "prevents them from avoiding direct talks."

By JPOST.COM STAFF
November 16, 2010 16:13
1 minute read.
PA President Mahmoud Abbas

Mahmoud Abbas what 311. (photo credit: Associated Press)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian opposition to the US proposal to freeze settlement construction for three months is behind the fact that Washington has not yet issued an official written draft of the proposal to Israel, a government official was quoted as saying Tuesday.

"The benefits that Israel is supposed to receive are not acceptable to the Palestinians because they prevent them from avoiding direct talks," Army Radio quoted the official as saying.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
US refuses to confirm offer of 20 F-35 fighter jets
Coalition likely to survive vote on incentive package

Earlier on Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Dan Meridor told Army Radio that the security cabinet will not vote on the proposal until it is received in writing.

The Palestinian Authority has not yet officially received any information on the proposed deal, PA spokesman Nabil Abu Rudineh said on Tuesday, according to Army Radio.

Abu Rudineh added that the Palestinian Authority would not announce an official position on the subject before PA President Mahmoud Abbas was officially briefed by the Americans on the details of the proposal.

Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat added that reports on the proposal do not include a freeze on building in east Jerusalem and therefore it would be rejected by the Palestinians.

On Monday, Palestinian sources said that the Palestinian Authority is also expecting a package of incentives from the US in return for resuming peace talks with Israel.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN