PM Olmert admits to war errors

But says hundreds of Hizbullah killed, threat neutralized.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 21, 2006 19:16
2 minute read.
PM Olmert admits to war errors

olmert shouts 298.8 . (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert admitted on Thursday that there were failures in the management of the IDF and the Home Front during the war in Lebanon. For a Jerusalem Online video of events click here "There were military mistakes during the war and in how to support the civilian population," said the prime minister in an interview given to Channel 2, adding, "I always make mistakes, and the ultimate authority lies with me, but the most basic decisions were not mistakes." "We could have got ourselves into even greater danger and been under fire from longer range missiles," Olmert continued, claiming that hundreds of Hizbullah guerillas had been killed and the organization's front line had been completely destroyed. "There is no more threat of Hizbullah on northern settlements," he claimed. When asked if the appointment of Defense Minister Amir Peretz was one of his mistakes, Olmert snapped, "Stop exaggerating...He is the defense minister - period! He will continue in this role." He also pointed out that 15 percent of the Israeli public had even voted for Peretz to be prime minister. The prime minister also rejected criticism over the continuation of IDF operations despite the cease-fire secured by the United Nations Security Council. "It was a correct, justified and responsible decision, which was made out of consideration for all the issues involved. It was impossible for us to halt operations at that time, since we would have endangered the soldiers' lives," explained the prime minister. "The IDF told me that we had to continue until we reached a point where if Hizbullah continued with its activities, we would not be in an inferior (strategic) position," said Olmert. Olmert said that the notion that Israel had lost the war was not the right one. "There is great disappointment amongst the public. I understand that, and it needs to be considered," he conceded. "But there is a new situation now, and the international community has also recognized that we had a huge victory against the guerillas." When asked about efforts to secure the release of the kidnapped soldiers, Olmert said that Israel was working "day and night" in its efforts to free them. "We are using all our force and all methods," he said, refusing to enter into specifics. Olmert was quizzed about the timing of the war's end, to which he replied, "We received all the information, all the intelligence, and in the end, all the members of the cabinet accepted this decision, and there were a lot of citizens who also agreed with it." When confronted over the reported shortages in equipment supplied to IDF forces, Olmert went on the defensive. "It is not the job of the prime minister to think about how many vests there are in storage." Concerning the Palestinian issue, the prime minister said that the peace process was "by no means dead," adding, "All the time, we are in contact with the Palestinians." On the Iranian threat, Olmert said that the danger must not be taken lightly. "The threat from Iran is a threat which one must not for a moment take lightly. We are occupied with it unceasingly," the prime minister proclaimed. Olmert said that while Israel could defend itself, he hoped the international community would be able to keep Iran in line. "I am convinced that the international effort, led by the United States, will lead to the required results," he said. AP contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN