Parents fight to save English classes

Education Ministry itself uncertain about program's future.

By HAVIV RETTIG GUR
June 12, 2007 01:16
2 minute read.
Parents fight to save English classes

a b c 88. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Frustrated parents of native English-speaking schoolchildren in the Sharon area have banded together to demand an explanation from the Education Ministry regarding the imminent cancellation of native English-speaking classes, and will turn to the High Court of Justice if their request is denied. The parent-funded lessons have been running for three decades, while the Education Ministry has refused to explain to parents why and if they will be stopped. The Jerusalem Post was first to report last month on the ministry's plan to halt classes for English-speaking pupils at the end of the current school year. Now, a group of some 100 parents from Hod Hasharon and other towns in the Sharon region have joined together to petition the High Court of Justice, claiming that the unexpected cancellation would harm students needlessly and constitutes a violation of administrative due process. Parents learned of the cancellation "through rumors," said Lisa Segelov, Advo., a parent of native English-speaking students and one of the volunteer lawyers who will be filing the petition. "There are a million versions going around about why the program is being canceled." "Nobody knows why it happened," agreed fellow petitioner Atty. Nicole Maor. "What changed? One parent's complaint undermined the ministry's self-confidence?" According to the Education Ministry, the program could not continue in its current form, as a TALAN (tigbur limud nosaf) enrichment program, since ministry regulations require that TALAN courses be accessible to all qualifying students. Since parents pay for the teachers of the native English-speaker courses, the fact that some parents may not be able to afford the classes constitutes a violation of TALAN regulations. Asked on Monday if the ministry could promise that, whatever the framework, the classes would continue, a ministry spokeswoman, citing the possible upcoming High Court petition, would only reply, "I don't know how to answer that." It is the tight-lipped handling of the cancellation - "parents aren't getting straight answers from the ministry, just journalists," said Segelov - that has angered parents and led them to threaten to turn to the High Court. "Native English courses are taught differently from regular English classes," noted Segelov. "It's not a second language, so the material is different and the teacher is different." Forcing native speakers of English to sit in on the regular classes, where their English is often better than the teacher's, is a recipe for educational disaster, say parents. "This will harm the English-speaking students along with all the other children," said Maor, "since it will disrupt the class." On Sunday, Segelov and Maor sent a letter to the Education Ministry stating that if the ministry could not provide clarification regarding the program's future within a week, the parents would file the petition. For now, the parents believe, time is of the essence. As Hod Hasharon private English teacher and native English-speaking parent Michele Shaul told the Post last month of the ministry's reticence, "our fear is that the ministry will only announce this in July or August, when it's too late to change anything."

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN