Peace Now to push for outpost removal

Group to petition the High Court of Justice to evacuate six fledgling West Bank communities.

By
September 18, 2007 00:05
1 minute read.
Peace Now to push for outpost removal

peace now 298 ap. (photo credit: AP [file])

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The left wing group Peace Now plans to petition the High Court of Justice on Tuesday to order the evacuation of six outposts. It was not deterred by statements from the state submitted to the court last week with respect to a different outpost petition, in which the Defense Ministry said it was working on an overall evacuation plan. The six fledgling communities in Peace Now's new petition to the court are likely to be included in that plan. Those outposts are: Givat Assaf, Ma'aleh Rehavam, Mitzpe Lachish, Givat Haroeh, Mitzpe Yitzhar and Ramat Gilad. Evacuation orders for these outposts have already been issued but were never acted on. In June 2006 Peace Now petitioned the court to force the state to act on the demolition orders. The court rejected the evacuation call on the grounds that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and former Defense Minister Amir Peretz has just entered their posts and needed time to develop their position. But the judges said they were open to receiving the petition again should the state fail to act. "Nothing has happened," said Hagit Ofran of Peace Now, so she added her group has turned again to the court. Peace Now, she said, does not trust the new flurry of activity on the issue that includes the meeting of the ministerial committee on outposts and the negotiations between the government and the settlers. "Each time they find another excuse. One time there was a new defense minister and another time there was a war in the North. And we waited and waited," she said.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN