Peretz: 10 attacks foiled this month

Fumbles over security facts at FADC meeting, is corrected by advisor.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
September 26, 2006 13:35
1 minute read.
Peretz: 10 attacks foiled this month

amir peretz press 298 88. (photo credit: Channel 2)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

"10 terrorist attacks were thwarted over the past three weeks," said Defense Minister Amir Peretz at Tuesday's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee meeting, adding that there was an increase in terror alerts in Judea and Samaria. Peretz also noted that the financial aid given to Lebanese families by Hizbullah and Iran, between 13,000 and 15,000 dollars per family, strengthened Hizbullah's image in the eyes of the population. Addressing questions regarding a final Israeli withdrawal from south Lebanon, the defense minister said that due to the fact that UNIFIL had not yet determined its specific rules of engagement, particularly those referring to opening fire, the IDF could not completely withdraw.

  • The second Lebanon war: JPost.com special report MK Ran Cohen (Meretz) asked the defense minister whether the troops would be left in Lebanon as "hostages," to which Peretz replied that the IDF would pull out by next week. Peretz added that until kidnapped soldiers Eldad Regev and Ehud Golwasser were released and proper surveillance of the Lebanese-Syrian border put in place, Israel would continue to see UNSC resolution 1701 as "incomplete." The defense minister faced an embarrassing moment during the meeting after giving a false reply to a question to which he seemed not to know the correct answer. When asked whether Israel was still enforcing a naval blockade in Lebanese waters, Peretz answered affirmatively. After several MKs retorted that they "were aware of different information," his military secretary told him that no such blockade was intact, but rather the navy was only supervising the waters. Peretz also came under fire for his policies on Israeli territory, as MKs Effi Eitam (NU-NRP) and Yuval Steinitz (Likud) attacked his willingness to give up the Golan Heights. Eitam called on Peretz to drop the subject, dubbing the supposed Golan Heights relinquishment "political stupidity." "This is a surrender to Syrian threats, and it only frustrates the United States," said Eitam. Peretz also acknowledged Syrian President Bashar Assad's remarks of last week, saying that no conditions had been set for negotiations with Syria.

  • Related Content

    Jisr az-Zarq
    April 3, 2014
    Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

    By SHARON UDASIN