Peretz: Anti-rocket system was late

Says delay was a mistake; denies plans to evacuate Sderot in case of emergency.

By JPOST STAFF,
February 5, 2007 12:04
Peretz: Anti-rocket system was late

kassams awesome 298.88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The plan to install an anti-rocket system in the South will provide a wider range of security, Defense Minister Amir Peretz said Monday. He criticized his predecessors for not installing the system earlier. "This system has great significance," Peretz said at a tree-planting ceremony in Sderot. "It is too bad that the investment wasn't made in previous years... The system could have been ready and prepared, and it could have helped." Peretz denied reports that plans have been drawn up for evacuating Sderot in an emergency. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Sunday gave final approval for the Iron Dome anti-Kassam system, which was chosen by Peretz last week. It is being developed by Rafael (Armaments Development Authority). Olmert and Peretz met with defense officials after Sunday's cabinet meeting and decided that the government would budget approximately $300 million for the project. Once the money is allocated, officials said, the system could be operational and deployed outside the Gaza Strip within two and a half years.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN