Pilot killed after crop duster crashes

Plane lost altitude, went down between Kibbutz Ein Herod and Kibbut Moledet.

February 27, 2007 07:48
1 minute read.
jpost services and tools

jp.services1. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The pilot who was killed early Tuesday after his crop duster crashed in the Jezreel Valley was Gidon Shatil, 61, of Moshav Tel Adashim. Shatil was the lead pilot for the crop dusting company Chem-Nir, and managed the firm's tarmac at Kibbutz Beit Hashita. Shatil sent out a distress call, reporting that the plane was losing altitude shortly before going down between Kibbutz Ein Herod and Kibbutz Moledet in the Jezreel Valley, northeast of Beit Shean. Three rescue teams, from both Magen David Adom and the local firefighters, were scrambled to the scene, but despite resuscitation efforts, the pilot succumbed to his injuries. "It was very hard to see the plane [go down] in the middle of the field," fire chief Micky Levy told Israel Radio. "There was a cloud [of smoke] and a smell," Levy continued. The fire chief told interviewers that he had no knowledge of the reason for the crash, but that an investigative team had been appointed. Army Radio reported that the plane had apparently run into an electrical wire. Israel Radio also reported that the damage to the aircraft had caused flammable materials to leak out into the surrounding fields. Firefighters were working to contain the damage. Magen David Adom reported that the chemicals the plane was carrying made the rescue efforts particularly difficult, and that some of the volunteers were suffering from dizziness and nausea.

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town